Waraxe IT Security Portal  
  Login or Register
::  Home  ::  Search  ::  Your Account  ::  Forums  ::   Waraxe Advisories  ::  Tools  ::
May 3, 2024
Menu
 Home
 Logout
 Discussions
 Forums
 Members List
 IRC chat
 Tools
 Base64 coder
 MD5 hash
 CRC32 checksum
 ROT13 coder
 SHA-1 hash
 URL-decoder
 Sql Char Encoder
 Affiliates
 y3dips ITsec
 Md5 Cracker
 User Manuals
 AlbumNow
 Content
 Content
 Sections
 FAQ
 Info
 Feedback
 Recommend Us
 Search
 Journal
 Your Account

User Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: MichaelSnaRe
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 9145

People Online:
Visitors: 681
Members: 0
Total: 681
PacketStorm News
·301 Moved Permanently

read more...
IT Security and Insecurity Portal

www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> Newbies corner -> I'm the new admin... now what? Goto page 1, 2  Next
I'm the new admin... now what?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote
drag
Active user
Active user

So I've cracked the MD5 belonging to the Joomla! admin and logged in.. it was all fun. I could deface some pages, but I'd rather get UNIX accounts/resources. What do I do now? I've tried checking to see if the password that I cracked is the same as the one for a UNIX login (I've tried to be clever about guessing the login name). I have the same problem after cracking MD5s for WordPress.

I need some direction. Could someone help?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
pexli
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

Defase is not goog idea.
Go to Joomla homepage.Download and install joomla on your PC.Study admin panel.Read this forum and find web shells etc.Upload to the server and get more info.Passwords for db,another vhost and etc.Don't be stupid haxor.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Chb
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

I agree with koko... Defacing sucks. Damn blackhat stuff...

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
drag
Active user
Active user

I agree as whole heartedly; I'm not interested in defacing. My understanding of web shells is that the attacker needs to get the vulnerable website to unwittingly include the shell into it's code. I guess the jump that I don't understand is using the control panel to make this possible. My guess is that I'd need to upload it as an extension? I'll do some research in the meantime, but any more pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
waraxe
Site admin
Site admin

So can I understand it right - you want to escalate your access level from joomla or wordpress admin to webserver shell level?
Well, just ten minutes ago i played little bit with joomla 1.0.12 installation and got an easy way to have shell access from joomla admin interface Smile
Seems like new advisory is coming out soon Very Happy
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
pexli
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

Quote:
Well, just ten minutes ago i played little bit with joomla 1.0.12 installation and got an easy way to have shell access from joomla admin interface

Well if you have access to admin panel uploading shell is easy,but how to get admin access. Laughing Laughing Laughing
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
barr0w
Regular user
Regular user

koko wrote:

Well if you have access to admin panel uploading shell is easy

What about uploading shell with Wordpress admin access. I've done some searching and haven't really found anything that makes me believe it's possible. Only thing I can think of is find the full path to get the unix accounts home directory, hope the user name is the same as the dir, and then hope that the Wordpress admin password is the same as the Unix account password.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
waraxe
Site admin
Site admin

barr0w wrote:
koko wrote:

What about uploading shell with Wordpress admin access. I've done some searching and haven't really found anything that makes me believe it's possible. Only thing I can think of is find the full path to get the unix accounts home directory, hope the user name is the same as the dir, and then hope that the Wordpress admin password is the same as the Unix account password.

Right now I know two different security holes for getting shell access from Joomla admin interface. But I don't know any legitimate methods Smile
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
drag
Active user
Active user

waraxe wrote:
So can I understand it right - you want to escalate your access level from joomla or wordpress admin to webserver shell level?

Yep.

waraxe wrote:
Right now I know two different security holes for getting shell access from Joomla admin interface.

Public? I'd love to get a good understanding of the holes that you speak of. I don't suppose you could point in the right direction?

As far as, "Well if you have access to admin panel uploading shell is easy." Is the technique to do this as I guessed earlier? Uploading the script as an extension?

Btw, waraxe, thanks for great forum. It seems like a good group of people that are posting here, and I'm really glad I came across it.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
waraxe
Site admin
Site admin

Thanks for positive feedback!
About those "unpublished possibilities" or features in joomla in order to get shell access or upload php scripts through admin interface - I will write advisory soon and then it will be public information. Of course, there are some other security issues too in Joomla, so stay tuned Smile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:47 am Reply with quote
pexli
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

barr0w wrote:
koko wrote:

Wordpress:
Plugin>>Plugin manager or editor
If admin forget to close you may edit this plugin and put code in there.
Manager>>File
Couple times admin forget to close for editing index.php.

If everything is close for editing and with blog have forum you may upload shell in cache or avatar directory.

Another way.If wp-content is open to write you may change uploading files and write php in options and when upload a shell.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
barr0w
Regular user
Regular user

Thanks for the direction Koko. I'm going to make attempts today on all of those suggestions.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
barr0w
Regular user
Regular user

Continuing on my quest to upload a shell after I used Waraze's newest Wordpress exploit to gain Wordpress admin access.

So I have write permissions on a ton of .php files.

My idea was you utilize the Write->Write Post->Upload File function to upload a script, but .php extensions are blocked. Does anyone know where the function is that performs the security check? Maybe I can remove .php from the not allow list.

Another idea I have is to simply take one of the existing .php files, delete everything inside it, and copy in my shell's code. For that to work I would need to know a .php file that is useless, I don't want to overwrite functions.php or something else that is used.

What does everyone think?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
barr0w
Regular user
Regular user

I managed to find out where in the functions.php is the allowed upload list. I was able to upload my shell, but when I try to hit it:

http://site/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/shell.php

I get a HTTP Error 406 - Not acceptable.

Any ideas?

Edit: I think simply overwriting the contents of an exisitng Wordpress .php file would be the best thing to do, I just don't want to break the whole installation. Any help would be appreciated.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
pexli
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

Edit some .php file.Copy original code on your PC then put your code.With your code upload shell on server and backup old original code.

P.S.My engl sucksssssssssssssss
I'm the new admin... now what?
  www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> Newbies corner