Waraxe IT Security Portal  
  Login or Register
::  Home  ::  Search  ::  Your Account  ::  Forums  ::   Waraxe Advisories  ::  Tools  ::
April 17, 2024
Menu
 Home
 Logout
 Discussions
 Forums
 Members List
 IRC chat
 Tools
 Base64 coder
 MD5 hash
 CRC32 checksum
 ROT13 coder
 SHA-1 hash
 URL-decoder
 Sql Char Encoder
 Affiliates
 y3dips ITsec
 Md5 Cracker
 User Manuals
 AlbumNow
 Content
 Content
 Sections
 FAQ
 Info
 Feedback
 Recommend Us
 Search
 Journal
 Your Account

User Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: MichaelSnaRe
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 9145

People Online:
Visitors: 358
Members: 0
Total: 358
PacketStorm News
·301 Moved Permanently

read more...
IT Security and Insecurity Portal

www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> General discussion -> Ramius Cracking Dictionary
Ramius Cracking Dictionary
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
glid3r
Regular user
Regular user

hello, i've been searching around for good wordlists and i 've found this http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11875 there are good things in but tons of garbage also, and its hard to clean everything. i've also found a 28gb "string"list but it wasnt really a wordlist. i was thinking of getting that Ramius dict but as some of you here have some HUGe wordlists i was thinking maybe someone could share it :p thanks for help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
slsl
Advanced user
Advanced user

I have a 27 gig dictionary it's called acdc's dictionary
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
glid3r
Regular user
Regular user

slsl wrote:
I have a 27 gig dictionary it's called acdc's dictionary

yeah i know about this one, but it's not a wordlist, its a character chain, cuz when its rar'ed, its only about 70mb Smile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
tehhunter
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

Dictionaries don't have to be super-huge to be super-effective. It's more so how effective they are. I have only roughly a million words in my dictionaries that I accumulated myself, and they are pretty effective for the space they take up if I do say so myself.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
glid3r
Regular user
Regular user

right now i'm building my own one with every wordlists i find. my dic is currently 2gb large, but it will be ~4 with all awords lowercased +uppercased :p. but you are right, a 100GB dictionary full of aaa aaaa etc is useless
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
tehhunter
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

In my opinion the most efficient thing to do is compile your own wordlists from common things. That's why I went out and made a few programs to download/sort/store things like:
    Common First Names (can find on Gov't websites)
    Common Last Names (same as above)
    Commonly used words (Can find on various literature websites)
    Common web lingo (Can find on random sites)

Then, after I compiled these lists, I decided to add some other somewhat bigger lists. I downloaded and converted milw0rm's cracked password file (which contains every password ever cracked by milw0rm, an invaluable treasure) and also opencrack's cracked password file.
With these lists, I can typically crack around 1/4 of any passwords I find. I can make that probability around 1/2 since I created a program to create permutations that people often use, thinking they are making their passwords more secure, such as:

hello -> h3llo -> hell0 -> h3ll0 -> HELLO -> Hello -> HeLLo -> hEllO -> olleh -> hello1 -> hello2 -> .... -> hello10 -> ... -> hello99 -> hello100 -> hello999 -> Hello1 -> ........... -> HELLO1 -> ............ -> 1hello1 -> ......................

Really it's quite simple. I first just thought of how I try to make my own passwords more secure, and then just programmed the changes into my program and thus saved much space and retained the efficiency (if not heightened it) of my wordlists. Currently I use a wordlist of around a million words, and at the end of my program I typically end up with around 9 billion passwords generated and checked.

I'm currently in the process of taking over a dead project on sourceforge, but when I am finished, I will upload and begin further development on my program (which was made in Java (albeit a 'slowish' language)).

P.S. If anyone has any good tips for boosting Java's speed, I would be all ears. Currently I am looking into harnassing JIT compilers (which convert the bytecode into native code at runtime) and also possibly introduction of CUDA to allow harnassing the GPU and thus radically shorten the time (on my laptop it takes around 21 hours to run fully through the full program).
Ramius Cracking Dictionary
  www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> General discussion