Waraxe IT Security Portal  
  Login or Register
::  Home  ::  Search  ::  Your Account  ::  Forums  ::   Waraxe Advisories  ::  Tools  ::
March 28, 2024
Menu
 Home
 Logout
 Discussions
 Forums
 Members List
 IRC chat
 Tools
 Base64 coder
 MD5 hash
 CRC32 checksum
 ROT13 coder
 SHA-1 hash
 URL-decoder
 Sql Char Encoder
 Affiliates
 y3dips ITsec
 Md5 Cracker
 User Manuals
 AlbumNow
 Content
 Content
 Sections
 FAQ
 Info
 Feedback
 Recommend Us
 Search
 Journal
 Your Account

User Info
Welcome, Anonymous
Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: MichaelSnaRe
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 9145

People Online:
Visitors: 526
Members: 0
Total: 526
PacketStorm News
·301 Moved Permanently

read more...
IT Security and Insecurity Portal

www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> Suggestions -> Easy fixs to the overall neatness and professional look.

Good advice, or bad advice.
Good
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Bad
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
In between.
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Easy fixs to the overall neatness and professional look.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
alexjustdoit
Beginner
Beginner

Alright, this might be lengthy, but bear with me, and excuse me if I make false assumptions/accusations/observations (whatever you want to call it).

I registered here so that I could post these suggestions after I saw this forum in a search that I ran after the site that I previously frequented went down. I decided to go to the trouble of registering because I saw the content on this sight and was (almost) shocked at how unsightly and unprofessional looking (like a 15 year old put this together) this place looked, sorry if that's offensive but again, bear with me.
For example, un-capitalized letters and words that should be capitalized, and the large amount of "PLZ HELP ME ZOMG THX THX!!!" threads.
I thought of writing a small paragraph on my suggestions but I think it would be easier on everyone reading this (and me) if I put it in list form.
----

Give the site a good hard look and change things like plain-text.info (quoted from the Affiliates section in the menu) to Plain-Text.info.
This can be anything, affiliate links to Forum section descriptions such as "If you want to exchange links, write some content (stories, tutorials, etc), wanna be moderator - let me know! Coz i really need help!" (quoted from the Cooperation proposals forum sub-section, which should be changed to "Cooperation Proposals") to "If you want to exchange links, write some content (stories, tutorials, etc), or want to be a moderator - let me know, because I really need some help!" or something along those lines.

If this was a serious hacking site instead of just a hash and security chit chat site (and a few other things, but whatever) , I would recommend not showing this site on search engine searches unless the search term is exactly the name of the site. This means ensuring that this site doesn't come up if I type in "hacking information forum" (which I did, as I was looking for a new site since the one I liked before went down, which I know why but I'm not going into that) and only comes up if I type in Waraxe security forum or Waraxe.us or something like that. (I do not know how to do this so don't ask, but I know it can be done because my old site I went to did it).

Also, get a new underground-ish theme and replace the logo. "waraxe.us" looks dumb and it's not even capitalized. (Forgive me if I sound really picky on this capitalization thing but it's important.) I suggest changing it to "Waraxe IT and Security Portal"

Tell you moderators to start removing threads like "PLZ HELP ME!!!" and banning users who keep doing it, as it really puts off users who are actually here to have some intelligent conversations.

----

That's all I can think of right now, but I will update later in the future if I think of anything I missed. If not, consider this my first, and final, post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
-AO-
Advanced user
Advanced user

This has been the most helpful security forum I've found. The people that think they can jump onto a forum for 5 minutes and judge it are people that nobody wants here. Besides, only beginners care about this "professional" look you're talking about because really, this site is of proffessional grade. Waraxe and pexli, to name a few, are very knowledgeable... maybe you should read some posts and waraxe's Advisories Smile Where are yours? I'd like to read some.

Why this site is on google? - Many ppl look for help on this forum and many ppl's problems are solved along with new ideas. Maybe your site doesn't have the experience or "professionalism" to attract such attention Rolling Eyes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
alexjustdoit
Beginner
Beginner

Perhaps, this is just my view. I have read some posts and topics and that doesn't change my opinion unfortunately. Also, the site I belonged to had more members and if posted, you would get a reply in under 3 minutes.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
tehhunter
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

alexjustdoit wrote:
Perhaps, this is just my view. I have read some posts and topics and that doesn't change my opinion unfortunately. Also, the site I belonged to had more members and if posted, you would get a reply in under 3 minutes.
Come back, anytime.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
-AO-
Advanced user
Advanced user

Having more members doesn't mean it's content has value.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
waraxe
Site admin
Site admin

So what are your interests? IT security? Hacking? I did some background check and it seems, that you are not IT pro, right? This forum is meeting place, where noobs can ask stupid questions and learn from experienced members, in other forums the answer is usually RTFM or worse. Meeting place, where skilled people can exchange information and learn something new. Design is not issue here, i have seen many great looking websites with zero community ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
-AO-
Advanced user
Advanced user

+ the design isn't bad. Razz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Chb
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

In my opinion he said some (not everything, but a few) true things. Actually I have to say, that those kids can be very nerve racking with their "give-me-what-I-want-cuz-I-say-so"-mentality. Some people does not even seem to be able for a five-minute Google research.

Well, you cannot get them away and even if, it would be kind of silent here. Smile

On the other hand I really like this forum. Smile I went away for a short time because of the already mentioned points, but somehow I missed it. Wink Now I am back and just keep my mouth shut whenever needed. And that works really good.
The point is really the one, that you are able to ask everything and at any time. Because of the IT-allround-members here you can get very good answers. Smile

Just my opinion [tm].

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
gibbocool
Advanced user
Advanced user

The style of a site isn't what makes it useful or popular, unless it restricts usability or is so ugly it chases people away.

The information is here, the resources are here, and if they aren't then the people who know are here too. That's what is important.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
earthquaker
Advanced user
Advanced user

just wanted to participate

i've been here since 2008 and i like this place although its quiet most of the time "nothing serious goes on daily here except what other members have previously mentioned the give me what i want etc..." besides that the design is simple and nice, not because its related to IT\security it needs to be dark or fancy ... as long as u can share\get knowledge then the look doesnt matter i guess

plus i love waraxe he's a the real IT guy ;-] same goes to the other good ones around here

cheers eq
Easy fixs to the overall neatness and professional look.
  www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> Suggestions