New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 9144

People Online:
Visitors: 228
Members: 0
Total: 228
Full disclosure
CyberDanube Security Research 20240722-0 | Multiple Vulnerabilities in Perten/PerkinElmer ProcessPlus
[KIS-2024-06] XenForo <= 2.2.15 (Template System) Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
[KIS-2024-05] XenForo <= 2.2.15 (Widget::actionSave) Cross-Site Request Forgery Vulnerability
CVE-2024-33326
CVE-2024-33327
CVE-2024-33328
CVE-2024-33329
CyberDanube Security Research 20240703-0 | Authenticated Command Injection in Helmholz Industrial Router REX100
SEC Consult SA-20240627-0 :: Local Privilege Escalation via MSI installer in SoftMaker Office / FreeOffice
SEC Consult SA-20240626-0 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities in Siemens Power Automation Products
Novel DoS Vulnerability Affecting WebRTC Media Servers
APPLE-SA-06-25-2024-1 AirPods Firmware Update 6A326, AirPods Firmware Update 6F8, and Beats Firmware Update 6F8
40 vulnerabilities in Toshiba Multi-Function Printers
17 vulnerabilities in Sharp Multi-Function Printers
SEC Consult SA-20240624-0 :: Multiple Vulnerabilities allowing complete bypass in Faronics WINSelect (Standard + Enterprise)
IT Security and Insecurity Portal

www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> General discussion -> Advice on Wireless Internet WarXing
Advice on Wireless Internet WarXing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
CoalMineCanary
Beginner
Beginner

I am a neophyte at wireless internet but I would like to ditch my dial-up which has kept me in the dark ages. Besides that a lightning strike last week coursed through my phone line and smoked the modem on my new Toshiba.

I don't want satellite wireless and I am not sure there are any wireless spots near me that are not encrypted. Wiki basically indicates that unless you have a Linux OS or Windows XP or earlier you are screwed. Unfortunately, I have Vista and a visit to the NetStumbler site was most unproductive.

I ended up on this site bc Wiki has a link to some Definitive Guide to WarXing that points to some text from 2002 on this site. Is the stuff in there even still applicable now?

Any help rendered will be greatly appreciated.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
lenny
Valuable expert
Valuable expert

Well, war/walking/driving/* is quite simple Smile
Hard way
1) Check that your wifi card is linux compatible
2) Download backtrack 3 Live CD
3) Boot into the liveCD
4) Find a convinient encrypted network (preferably WEP).
4) Crack the WEP key (there are MANY tutorials on the internet how to do this)
5) Boot into Windows, discard backtrack 3 and use your cracked WEP key to browse freely!

Easy way
1) Walk around looking for convinient open access points.
2) Enjoy free internet.

Other than that, maybe give some more specific questions? This type of attack is very interesting to me, and I have done a lot of research into it in the past, and if you have any specific questions then I will be quite happy to answer.

Oh, And stuff from 2002 will still be applicable because many people dont understand technology and security! I still find unsecure wireless networks even though 90% of routes have WPA enabled as standard!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
XenoxComputers
Regular user
Regular user

Yah, backtrack 3.0 live cd has aircrack already pre installed so no driver hassle. Here are some aircrack-ng links

list of injection compatible cards. not necessary for wep but speeds up the process a LOT. http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers&DokuWiki=3122e86fe6f7aad3e05d4f44689aad0c

Simple wep crack

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack

A newbie guide, just skip any installation steps
http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=newbie_guide

and all this is on www.aircrack-ng.org

happy hacking Twisted Evil
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ThoR
Regular user
Regular user

Also, if you happend to find WPA / WPA2 secured networks, elcomsoft has release WPA cracking in they're password recovery suite with GPU enabled acceleration ^^
Advice on Wireless Internet WarXing
www.waraxe.us Forum Index -> General discussion